March 10, 2010
Hon. Emmanuel Angeles
THE BOARD OF REGENTS
University of the Philippines System
Subject: Formal Protest on Five Decisions of the 25 February 2010 Board of Regents Meeting
Chairman Angeles and Members of the Board of Regents:
We, the Faculty Regent and the Staff Regent, upon the request of our constituents and the students of the University who have had their representation to the Board of Regents removed, file the following protest:
1) Protesting the removal of the Student Regent. The only basis for the Student Regent’s disqualification was her inability to file a residency within the registration period. She has completed all the academic requirements of her course and is set to graduate on April 2010. She has filed an appeal for residency with UP Los Banos. It is a simple matter for the UP Administration to grant her appeal for residency as has been done for other students similarly situated.
2) Protesting the Removal from Office of the Duly-Appointed PGH Director Dr. Jose Gonzales and appointing Dr. Rolando Enrique Domingo. Dr. Gonzales has been sworn into office as PGH Director on December 22, 2009 and January 7, 2010. He can only be removed on cause.
3) Protesting the appointment of Dr. Gilda Rivero as UP Mindanao Chancellor in spite of the findings of the Commission on Audit on irregularities related to the expenses of her investiture in 2007 which she has not yet clarified.
4) Protesting the continuing participation of the three regents, Regent Abraham Sarmiento, Regent Nelia Gonzales and Regent Francis Chua, whose appointments have already lapsed.
5) Protesting the recommendation to Malacanang of the three appointed Regents, Justice Sarmiento, Mrs. Gonzales and Mr. Chua, without consulting with the UP community for other recommendations.
We will submit a detailed letter of protest once we receive copies of the minutes of the February 25, 2010 Board of Regents meeting.
Thank you .
JUDY M. TAGUIWALO, Ph.D. CLODUALDO CABRERA
Faculty Regent Staff Regent