Please find here materials pertinent to the search for the next U.P. President. The Board of Regents (BOR) constituted itself as the Search Committee for the Next U.P. President. These materials were forwarded by incumbent Faculty Regent Judy Taguiwalo, for your information and guidance. These can also found in UP’s official website: http://up.edu.ph/features.php?i=213.
Click on the links to read/download the following documents:
1. Call for Nominations: search16July2010
2. Timetable: timetable
3. Criteria: criteria
* * * *
The UP Board of Regents (BOR) is now inviting nominations for the President who will succeed UP’s Centennial President, Dr. Emerlinda R. Roman. Roman’s term will come to a close on February 9, 2011.
At its 1255th meeting on June 2, 2010, the Board constituted itself into the Search Committee for the next UP President. Composed of all the Regents, the Committee will prepare a list of nominees among whom the Board will make the final choice.
Any outstanding Filipino known to possess integrity, stature in the academic profession, a national and international reputation as a scholar, and proven administrative capability may be nominated by any person, group, or organization both from within or outside the University System. The Search Committee hopes to encourage as many nominations as possible and welcomes the widest participation of the University’s constituents and stakeholders.
The Search Committee shall conduct fora and dialogues throughout the UP System in September and October. Nominees shall be asked to present their vision and programs before the Board on November 8, 2010. The UP Charter empowers the Board to elect the President which it shall do at its 1262nd meeting on November 26, 2010.
Each nomination shall include (1) the nominee’s curriculum vitae, (2) his or her vision statement, (3) a statement of his or her willingness to serve, and (4) a brief justification for the nomination. All nominations must be in sealed envelopes, addressed to the UP Board of Regents Search Committee for the UP President, and submitted to the Office of the Secretary of the University and the Board of Regents, Quezon Hall, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City no later than 5:00 p.m., August 25, 2010.
Timetable for the Search for the Next UP President
|1. Constitution of the Search Committee||2 June 2010|
|2. Discussion of the Criteria for the Selection of the UP President||14 July 2010|
|3. Call for nominations||15 July 2010 to 25 August 2010|
|4. Evaluation/Screening of Nominees||27 August 2010 (Friday)
|5. Nominees’ Fora||September to October 2010
24 September 2010
|6. Presentation of Vision and Programs before the BOR and Interviews||8 November 2010 (Monday)
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
|7. Election of the New President||26 November 2010 (Friday)
Criteria Selection – 1
- Stature in the academic profession
- Administrative capability
- National and International reputation as a scholar
- Probity and moral integrity
Criteria Selection – 2
- Values and perspectives
- Possesses the political will and the political skills to defend and promote academic freedom and institutional autonomy
- Committed to academic excellence
- Has a clear and inspiring vision of UP’s role in the 21st century
- Leads in ensuring the implementation of democratic governance in the university based on collegiality, representation, accountability, transparency and active participation of constituents
Criteria Selection – 3
- Has the ability to raise funds without compromising the traditional values and ideals of academia
- Possesses the capacity to manage available resources to sustain the UP Modernization program
- Fair in dealing with all constituents; does not engage in factionalism
Criteria Selection – 4
- Preserves the secular, public and non-sectarian character of UP
- Maintains and enriches intellectual diversity; does not promote a particular religion or school of thought
- Keeps UP above politics, but respects the rights of faculty members and and students to participate in political debates and campaign their beliefs within the limits of the law