ON THE STFAP ONE MORE TIME – June 6, 2011 Memorandum of VPAA Gisela P. Concenpcion on April 8, 2011 Memo
UP KILOS NA
Below is the memorandum issued by UPVP for Academic Affaris Gisela P. Concepcion clarifying the VP’s April 8, 2011 Memo which was questioned by the students and by UP Kilos Na (Please refer to https://upissues.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/up-kilos-na-stfap/ and to https://upissues.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/stfap-tuition-hike/.
The new memo reiterated that no new STFAP bracketing has been issued; the STFAP brackets remain as they are. What the new memo changed is the removal of the notarization requirement for those applying in Bracket B contained in the April 8 memo. Also, it now provides that applicants for Bracket B can submit their certification not later than September 16, 2011. (Both the memo and the new Bracket B certification form are found at the end of this note)
The original Bracket B certification has also been changed and is now based on the accompanying document to the June 6 memo. (Take note that as of this writing, April 8, 2011, 8 pm, the Bracket B certification on the UPD CR – https://crs.upd.edu.ph/ is still this:
Bracket B Certification (and other documents) required for enrollment for Incoming Freshmen
All Incoming Freshmen of AY 2011-2012 with an annual family gross income of more than five hundred thousand pesos (P500,000) butnot more than one million pesos (P1,000,000) should submit the following requirements anytime before their scheduled registration dateto the Office of Scholarships and Student Services, Room 303, 3rd floor, Vinzons Hall :
Bracket B Certification – duly notarized (Original copy & 2 xerox copies).
- (Please get a copy of the document here.)
- Family’s Income Tax Return for last year or OFW Contract (Original copy & 2 xerox copies) * If unemployed or exempt, submit Municipal Certificate of Unemployment / BIR Certificate of Exemption from non-filing of ITR
- Vicinity Map of the family residence. Please indicate landmarks in your sketch.
UP Kilos Na believes that these changes may be a response of the UP Administration under President Pascual to the points raised by the students during the dialogue with him and his Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs, Legal Affairs and Public Affairs last June 3. If so, UP Kilos Na would like to thank the Pascual Administration for these changes.
At the same time, we would like to forward the following concerns:
1) The need for a speedy dissemination of this memorandum to the UP System community as registration has been going on for the past three days;
2) The chilling effect of the statement contained in the Bracket B certification:
We also understand that UP can change the bracket of the student from B to A after due investigation and findings, without prejudice to disciplinary actions being taken against the student.
This is particularly so given the complexity of the items enumerated in the STFAP guidelines regarding bracketing and the need to review the glitches in the sofrware used to run the information submitted which have categorized students with family income below 150,000 as Bracket A.
3) The substantive question raised on the character of STFAP as a mechanism to increase tuition in the guise of rich students subsidizing the poor and the demand that this should be junked especially in the face of the data that very few students are actually categorized in Brackets C, D and E.
UP Kilos Na hopes that the Pascual Administration will continue to dialogue with the student representatives and UP Kilos Na on STFAP, the admission policy of UP and the efforts at democratizing access to UP as a public university.
* * * *
6 June 2011
Memorandum No. 2011-18
To: The Vice Chancellors for Academic Affairs/Instructions
The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs of UP Diliman
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, UP Cebu
From: Gisela P. Concepcion, Ph.D.
Vice President for Academic Affairs
Re: Some Clarifications on Memorandum No. OVPAA 2011-09
Some questions were raised concerning the implementation of Memorandum No. OVPAA 2011-09 issued on 8 April 2011. For proper guidance, the following clarifications are made:
1. There is no change in the STFAP Bracket schedule and there is no tuition fee increase under the said Memorandum. The existing Bracket Schedule approved by the Board of Regents is still in force and effect. In accordance with the said Schedule, students assigned to Bracket A (declared annual family income of more than P1 million) still pay at P1,500 per unit in the constituent universities (CUs) of Diliman, Los Banos, and Manila, and P1,000 in the other CUs. Those assigned to Bracket B (declared annual family income of P1million or less) still pay at P1,000 per unit in Diliman, Los Banos and Manila, and P600 in the other CUs.
2. The annual family incomes for Brackets C, D, E1, and E2 schedule likewise remain unchanged and students assigned to these brackets continue to enjoy the same discounted or zero tuition rates as before.
3. The said Memorandum applies only to incoming Freshmen students, and transferees from other schools, who have applied to be assigned to Bracket B by submitting a Bracket B Certification (copy of sample Form attached), which is not required to be notarized.
4. Students who have applied for Bracket B assignment shall submit not later than 16 September 2011 the following documents to support the bracket assignment.
a. Income Tax Return for the previous year of their parents, or a copy of the employment contract of their parents if they are OFWs or if they have no ITRs
b. vicinity map of the family residence
5. The existing application process remains the same for assignment to STFAP Brackets C, D, E1, and E2.
Cc: The Chancellors
The Dean of UP Cebu College
Sample certification for UP Diliman; CUs should change Bracket A tuition, accordingly.
FOR UP DILIMAN STUDENTS with Student Number: 2011-_ _ _ _ _
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING:
1.) You must accomplish this certification if you declare that your annual Gross Family Income is more than Five hundred thousand pesos (P500,000) but not more than One Million pesos (P1,000,000) and thus eligible for classification under Bracket B.
2.) You do not have to accomplish this certification if:
- You have declared your annual Gross Family Income is more than One Million pesos (Php 1,000,000) and as such will be classified under Bracket A.
- You are applying for financial assistance under STFAP Bracket C or lower.
SOCIALIZED TUITION FEE
BRACKET B CERTIFICATION
(For AY 2011-2012)
1.) We are aware that based on the tuition structure approved by the Board of Regents, households who have an annual family gross income of more than One Million Pesos (Php 1,000,000.00) during the last taxable year prior to the current registration period should be classified as Bracket A. Those in Bracket A should pay One Thousand Five Hundred Pesos (Php 1,500) per unit in tuition.
2.) We certify that our household did not have an annual family gross income of more than One Million Pesos (Php 1,000,000.00) during the last taxable year prior to this registration period.
3.) We undertake to submit not later than 16 September 2011 the following documents:
a. Income Tax Return (ITR) for the previous year of his parents, or a copy of the employment contract of his parents if they are OFWs, or if they have no ITR
b. Vicinity map of the family residence. Please indicate landmarks in your sketch.
4.) We authorize the University to conduct an investigation and send a fact-finding team to visit our home/residence to verify the accuracy of the information provided in this certification. We undertake to give our utmost cooperation in this regard. For the purpose of said verification, we further authorize the University and its agents or representatives, to use still/digital camera and other means to record the actual conditions or circumstance of our family.
5.) We understand that our refusal to comply with any of the above-mentioned undertaking may be a ground for disciplinary action – the punishment for which includes suspension and expulsion from the University – against our son/daughter/dependent or my spouse.
We also understand that should it later be found that our annual family gross income exceeds One Million Pesos (Php 1,000,000.00) during the last taxable year, the same may also be ground for disciplinary action – the punishment for which includes suspension and expulsion from the University – against our son/daughter/dependent or my spouse.
6.) We also understand that UP can change the bracket of the student from B to A after due investigation and findings, without prejudice to disciplinary actions being taken against the student.
Printed Name and Signature of Student Printed Name and Signature
of Parent/Legal Guardian/Spouse
Semester: _______________________ Date: _____________________
College: _______________________ Place:_____________________